Since 2011, I’ve used this list to help reflect back on the year. I really enjoy looking back while preparing to move forward. So…
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
European Delivery road trip vacation! I started a book club! Finished JPME-1 so now I’m a Navy War College Distance Learning graduate! Qualified for the Boston Marathon again but didn’t make the cut-off time for applications!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I have long-term projects that result in a few of the same answers below. I’m doing well professionally but need to continue to strive for bigger projects rather than “just” succeed on the day-to-day work of clinic and OR. I would also like to work on my Spanish, increase my musicality and establish a regular, non-race training exercise routine.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two college friends had their second children- both sons. A new nephew/niece is coming in 2018!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. I continue to be very lucky in this regard.
5. What countries did you visit?
US (Deep South Road Trip including NC, MS, AL, FL, GA; Family Ski Trip Steamboat Springs, CO; Leah’s Bachelorette Charleston, SC: Boston Marathon, MA; 15th Reunion Williamstown, MA)
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Our September European road trip was an epic vacation. I absolutely loved it.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving ahead with a complex research project and fostering good working relationships with colleagues.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I am finding clinical research to be very difficult. Getting people to complete their study participation has been extraordinarily tough. It is very frustrating but it motivates me to figure out ways to get around specific roadblocks.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets! (repeat)
12. Where did most of your money go?
Someone (SMS, well really us, I guess:) may have bought an expensive car, which was part of our European Delivery Vacation!
13. What did you get really excited about?
Seeing SMS! I was also really excited about the family mega-vacations this year, which had been pre-planned for several months.
14. What song will always remind you of 2017?
“Woman” Kesha; “Want You Back” HAIM; “Chained to the Rhythm” Katy Perry; “Feel It Still” Portugal. The Man; “It Ain’t Me” Kygo & Selena Gomez; “Somebody Else” The 1975s; “Rut” The Killers; “You’re Welcome” Dwayne Johnson on the Moana soundtrack (from our Kauai vacation movie watching- who knew the Rock could sing!)
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? A little fatter but I’m working on it AND I am very appreciative of my good health!
– richer or poorer? Richer (continuing to save)
16. What’s one thing you wish you had done more of?
Yoga! Read more, but I started to up my game in the Fall.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Phone-scrolling. I’m doing better but it’s easy to just lose a lot of time. I was using the Moment app but then I decided I was tired of giving them data that they were likely selling to third parties.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
A great family day in Kauai! We had a Christmas dinner and then went to the Lu’au Kalamaku. We had pre-dinner drinks in the Mahiko lounge where SMS had a fantastic Mai Tai made with cane juice rather than pineapple and he loved it!
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Victoria. Amazing! I also liked Godless.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Fiction: A Gentleman in Moscow by Towles
Moonglow by Chabon
Non-fiction: Dear Ijeawelie or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Adichie
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I saw the Turnpike Troubadours in concert. They were excellent! Otherwise, a little light on the live music this year.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I don’t watch a lot of movies. Baby Driver was absolutely a terrible movie, but had a great sync between the music and the action. But the plot was terrible and, not fake news, Jon Hamm cannot be killed.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
37. I took a road trip down to New Bern to see my sister-in-law and nephew followed by after dinner drinks with friends back home.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing more of SMS and having Neroni, the most amazing dog ever, live with me instead of his family in Italy.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
I like Boden a lot for a polished casual look although I can have lazy moments in schlump-y outfits which, of course, is when I always seem to run into people.
26. What kept you sane?
SMS and my family!
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
There was a lot heavy stuff on the national and international scene. I feel incredibly lucky to have my amazing husband, family, health and friends.
Leave a Reply