Since 2011, I’ve used this list to help reflect back on the year. I really enjoy looking back while preparing to move forward. So…
1. What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before?
Got vaccinated against COVID!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did ok! I feel pretty happy with my betterment efforts although there is still work to be done. To pick a small area, I am happy with how much I read this past year (67 books!) but I will make a much more concerted effort at reading more non-fiction!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister! (Repeat from last year. Go B!)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Ouch. Oh 2020, what could have been.
6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?
7. What dates from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 23: I was supposed to go to Norfolk for a one week surgical visit and instead, I was on the USNS Mercy response to the Port of Los Angeles!
April 2: On the Mercy for my 40th birthday.
August 21: Our housing offer went bottoms up
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
SMS and I navigated a tough Fall. I 100% realize that we are still very fortunate in our lives but August and September were rough.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Well, it’s not really a failure but I do feel a little stuck in my job if I want to advance from a research or military rank perspective. But more opportunities should open in 2021 assuming that things will, in fact, start to get back to “normal.”
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My right shoulder for a bit. And I think I’ve avoided being sick with COVID.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
SMS Christmas present- a pair of special sneakers. I might realize the high of being a sneakerhead!
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent/Two Households for 2/3 year. Real estate debacle. Savings account.
13. What did you get really excited about?
SMS and I have had a great time being together in SD.
14. What song will always remind you of 2020?
“Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion. And let’s be real, W.A.P. made quite a splash :]
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Same. Pretty happy.
– thinner or fatter? A little thinner
– richer or poorer? Poorer (real estate debacle)
16. What’s one thing you wish you had done more of?
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Phone-scrolling. Gossip site reading during the second half of the year- I was so good the first third! (Argh, this is a repeat. Will do better in 2021!)
18. How did you spend Christmas?
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Call My Agent (Pour Deux Percent) Seasons 1-3; Pandemic; The Queen’s Gambit; Insecure Season 4; Unorthodox
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Olive, Again by Strout; The Dearly Beloved by Wall; City of Girls by Gilbert; Celine by Heller; Writers & Lovers by King; Cork Dork by Bosker; Milkman by Burns; Deacon King Kong by McBride; Girl, Woman, Other by Evarist; Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Wilkerson
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
“Dance Monkey” by the Tones and I. Hahahahaha
BTS, “Rain on Me,” Dua Lipa, Mabel, Emili Sandé
And one of my last workouts featured “Wait Til You See My Smile” by Alicia Keys is really beautiful, even if it’s from 2009.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I watch so few movies that, shamefully, my favorite of the year was Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. I thought The Social Dilemma was a huge missed opportunity and about 40% of the “documentary” was a super-cheesy Hallmark-like film.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
40. On the USNS Mercy. I mostly tried to avoid anyone knowing it was my birthday.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
No COVID. Is that too glib? Yes, but it’s also true.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?
I am all in on the joggers trend and recently bought a huge sweater. When I wear it, SMS calls me Dobby the House Elf (not in a good way but I don’t care!)
26. What kept you sane?
SMS and my family!
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2020
The power of social justice and hoping/believing/acting that the moral arc of the universe truly does bend towards justice.