Since 2011, I’ve used this list to help reflect back on the year. I really enjoy looking back while preparing to move forward. So…
1. What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
Ate at Singlethread, a two (now three!) star Michelin restaurant! Watched the Boston Marathon! Went to a music festival with my sister! Drank a Bushwacker at Florabama! Watched my brother get married! Had an amazing work/vacation trip to Denmark and Sweden! Presented a poster at an international conference! Went to a 95 year old’s birthday party! Toured the Tesla factory! Became a birdsitter to four parakeets!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I dabbled here and there with habit tracking but nothing too serious. I made some forward progress on my big research project at work by presenting pilot data at two conferences but, unfortunately, money that I was awarded in Oct 2017 wasn’t awarded until July 2018. Furthermore, the contract wasn’t awarded until 26 Sept. It was a frustrating 11 month delay, but I really needed to get the project updated before embarking on the larger study.
Anyway, this year I would like to work on the larger project, do a for-reals triathlon race, improve my Spanish, and be more consistent on some smaller daily wellness habits.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law! Yay!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. I continue to be very lucky in this regard.
5. What countries did you visit?
Germany (for five hours!)
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
More time with my husband! Peer-reviewed publications! More upper body strength!
7. What dates from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well, I always like my birthday and our wedding anniversary!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Continuing to keep our long-distance marriage vibrant, although I have mixed emotions regarding how good SMS and I have gotten at it! But on a related note, I have orders to San Diego that I lobbied pretty hard for! Overall, I am very good at my job and since that entails taking care of people who put their trust on me, I’d say that’s pretty big.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Ugh, failure sounds so harsh. Maybe I can whine that I failed at being perfect but that seems like an impossible goal, haha. In seriousness, I would say that while there were outside factors this year that impacted my research, it is still disappointing that I’ve been talking about the same study for over two years.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets! (repeat)
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent/Two Households. Plane Tickets. Our savings account.
13. What did you get really excited about?
The answers to #1, hahaha.
14. What song will always remind you of 2017?
“High Hopes” Panic at the Disco, “Somebody Loves You” Betty Who, “Los Ageless” St Vincent, “Esther” The Hold Steady, “Remind Me to Forget” Kygo & Miguel, “Him & I” G-Eazy and Halsey, “I Dare You” The XX, “Good Kisser” Lake Street Dive, “Pirata de Amor” Yanfourd. Also, “Despacito” by Fonsi with Bieber. It isn’t the coolest song to admit to but anyone who says they didn’t hear and at some point find it catchy is either a 1. liar or 2. lives under a rock.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? Samesie
– richer or poorer? Richer (continuing to save)
16. What’s one thing you wish you had done more of?
Foreign language practice
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Reading gossip. I did really well for several months but I have had a major backside reading British royal drama. I know! What a loser but it’s an addiction!
18. How did you spend Christmas?
A great family day in Playa del Carmen, Mexico!
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Insecure, Game of Thrones (way to jump on that bandwagon late), Borgen, Victoria
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I read 70 books this year! Favorites include Pachinko by Lee, How to Win Friends & Influence People by Carnegie, Beartown by Backman, Behold the Dreamers by Mbue, Bad Blood by Carey, The Great Believers by Makkai, The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Zeun, Normal People by Rooney, Less by Greer. It was a really good reading year. There were a few duds, but overall, excellent.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Gulf Shores Fest was awesome. I also saw the Turnpike Troubadours, who were excellent live. Groups new to me were Lake Street Drive, The XX, Betty Who. I also kind of love Halsey- I feel slightly embarrassed about it but I can’t fight an earworm!
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Lady Bird, Free Solo, Won’t You Be My Neighbor
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
38. An amazing weekend in Sedona with SMS, highlighted by an incredible meal and stay at Singlethread.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being in California with SMS!
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Boden reigns supreme but I am currently loving joggers- they are so awesome looking as long as the pockets don’t lie over sides of the hip (disaster!).
26. What kept you sane?
Getting enough sleep, maintaining perspective
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.