Copenhagen Wrap-Up!

After the Switzerland trip, we were back baby! Back in the land of the hopelessly chic and budding trees, which was very exciting after having lived in San Diego for two years. Trees without leaves? How novel!

So, on the 15th, Dad arrived in Copenhagen for his R&R from Marja. Much needed, I think. And it turned out to be unbelievably fortuitous that he arrived on the 15th rather than his original date of the 16th b/c European Airspace was starting to get a little messy at that point although total chaos didn’t hit until the 17th. Although Dad was tired, he wanted to do something so we hit up the Louisiana museum again and the Batten amusement park where Joe kicked ass on a shoot-out game. I didn’t partake but I was happy to see the entire “Color in Art” exhibit and grab a beer outside on a day with crystal blue skies.

The next day, I went to Roskilde on my own and saw the coolest Viking museum. The ships were amazingly reconstructed by having the recovered beams affixed to stark steel beams. There were also replicas available for viewing. It was small but really cool. It’s amazing what interests peoples and what hobbies people pursue. I have to admit though, I wanted to take up 8th century ship building techniques and build myself a rowboat!

On the 17th, Dad, Joe and I went to Dragor to see the cute fishing village. Joe and I also went to the Glyptotek back in Copenhagen and saw the coolest Egyptian exhibit where we walked down a darkened staircase like we were going into a tomb. There were several sarcophaguses and two mummies! AUGH! Mummies! That night, we had Joe’s commissioning ceremony and party which was totally awesome. My brother, 2LT!

The next day, my flight was cancelled due to massive volcanic ash. The whole family went for a walk in Fredickborg Park, which was beautiful. We had an extra family dinner (yay!).

Finally, on Monday, I went for one last bike ride, walked the Stroget and had drinks with everyone except Brady who had started her epic train journey. I went to the airport last night and managed to book a flight to start my trip home. The catch? Overnight bus to Oslo. Otherwise, I was stuck in Copenhagen until the 27th. Not really an option.

So I went on an overnight bus with a seatmate who expanded when sleeping and had personal space issues, at least according to my uptight American way of thinking. Then I stood in two lines for a combined 5 hours and yelled at old people who were cutting (let it be known that they were very healthy and WRONG- they were not infirm, nor were they right although they thought so. They were just dirty cutters). Next, I cried at the counter b/c I thought my wallet was stolen and got a voucher for coffee. I then proceeded to find my wallet in a different bag (thank goodness!). I was pretty embarrassed that I was so out of it that I had packed my wallet. Who does that? People who want to get free coffee and have no dignity, apparently. (Me!) But really, I had sprinted after a bus when I first figured out my wallet wasn’t in my purse so really, I thought someone had lifted it in Copenhagen since I had my purse open, basically asking someone to steal it from the luggage cart.

The first leg though, I felt my head roll in the headrest like I was in need of a good old fashion exorcism. When I woke up, my seatmate was gone. More room for me! Score! Write that down as a technique for future flights!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: