Well, looks like this will be an every two week type of thing. But who knows where my 2019 resolutions will take me? Ok, things to talk about.
*@theparakeetofficial on IG. Oh yeah. The parakeets have their own IG account. I’m not sure what niche these bad “boys” will fill but so far, they’ve increased their followers by 400%!!! (0 –> 4, that’s 400%, right?)
*I have read 72 books this year so far, although if I count my Harry Potter 1-7 re-read as one book, I would actually be at 66. I’m gearing up for a year in review. Currently, I’m thinking about/trying to read a Halloween-themed book (great choice in December) for my other book club but it’s a genre I don’t love (magical mystery) and it’s 400 pages. My motivation is low, can’t you tell? I did read The Atomic City Girls for my book club I’m hosting at the apartment on Tuesday and even though I didn’t love it, I did finish it.
*I’m on a running streak. It definitely fits in with my all-or-nothing mentality. I’m keeping it up until Christmas vacation, bonus points if I make it to the New Year. Then, maybe I’ll continue it! I aim for 3.1 miles a day. I have a couple of 4-5 mile days and one 1 mile day but otherwise, 3.1! I also have a new bike and an indoor trainer for some ambitious Winter training and Spring event plans.
*I’m moving to San Diego next Summer! I am so excited. I already have my route mapped out. I am going to the Grand Canyon for the first time and, in a clear nod to my new foster pet obsession (if the IG wasn’t enough), I booked two days at an in-park lodge so that the birds can hang out in a climate-controlled environment while I go hiking. I am such a sucker for those little birds.
*My apartment is decorated for Christmas. It is cute. It’s nice to feel a little festive for the season although I’m looking forward to my vacation with SMS and family- Feliz Navidad!
A new feature to serve as a round-up for thoughts and lessons of the week. Since a soliloquy is the “act of talking to oneself,” it’s the perfect word for my low-readership blog!
- Culinary lesson of the week: Shred your own cheese! A friend of a friend who’s a former chef said that he always sheds his own cheese. I thought it was because of the dryness with more exposed surface area but he said he dislikes the additives used to prevent clumping (dextrose). Now that I’ve learned that, I can’t untaste the powder in my current bags of cheese.
- Swedish Death Cleaning. After disparaging/mocking the KonMari method to my sister last night, I think this method might be better. My main issue with the KonMari method is that it’s hard to only focus on joy when decluttering. One, I don’t love the chore of organizing and two, there are a lot more emotions tied up with belongings than joy/not-joy. Swedish Death Cleaning can also apply to moving and since I’m hoping to move next Summer, I think this will be helpful. Now, all of my adult possessions fit into a one-bedroom apartment so I don’t think I’m too much of a hoarder, but my wardrobe and trip souvenir detritus could use a little pruning.
- California Day Trip Idea: Point Lobos Loop Trail This looks beautiful!
- Blog Goals: I really want to focus on itineraries for places. I feel like I plan trips really well and maybe I can show that you really can fit a lot in without being super-stressed. I don’t feel stressed on my trips- I love them! I’m taking a fiction writing class and I had a “fictional” itinerary that received the feedback that obviously it was overly ambitious and that would be a good plot point to create conflict when the itinerary didn’t happen. Well, false! It totally can. Although for my fiction writing, I think the feedback actually has merit for creating an interesting story.
- Online Shopping High/Low: So, I bought a grill pan from Williams-Sonoma (discount!) and I grilled a perfect steak with instructions from my meat CSA (no, I’m not kidding about the existence of a meat CSA). So, it was awesome except grilling inside produces about as much smoke as grilling outside so my apartment becomes quite smoky. The birds don’t seem to mind though- probably because I’m not cooking chicken?
- Do YOU want instructions on perfect indoor grilling? Below is a screenshot from the CSA newsletter (although I recommend a 3 minute sear on each side instead of 90 seconds because it was ahi tuna-style raw initially and had to go back into the oven).